From: Bamidele Fashube, Abuja
African Clean Up Initiative (ACI), organisers of the annual African Clean Up Conference (ACC), on Friday, announced its 2019 edition of the ACC conference scheduled to hold in Ghana.
The international conference and award is identified as a platform for stakeholders in the environment sector to discuss issues relating to the environment such as climate change, renewable energy, environmental sustainability, eco-solution to peculiar challenges within Africa and ultimately awarding distinguished eco-drivers, who had made great impact protecting the ecosystem.
This year edition is themed: Transformation for Sustainable Development: Promoting Environmental Sustainability in Africa. It is expected to hold at Ghana Nurses and Midwives Centre, opposite GS Plaza Hotel, Shiashie in Accra between Friday, 2nd and Saturday 3rd August, 2019. (Delegates Arrival: Thursday 1st and Delegate Departure: Sunday 4th August, 2019)
According to a brief made available to Agronature in Abuja, it was conceptualised in 2016, following the need to create a platform that addresses the African environmental peculiarities, and to provide tailored solutions.
Alex Akhighe, the ACI Chief Environmentalist, said the group has always been at the fore front addressing environmental issues particularly at the grassroots, stressing that in the last eight years, the ACI has rolled out unusual eco-projects, engaging people at the grassroots to be environmentally friendly citizens.
He noted that with the continuous attitudinal threat accompanying waste disposal and other environmental challenges, sensitization remains vital in discouraging habits that destroys the environment.
“It is a highly subsidized paid conference aimed at bringing together Civic Leaders, Nation Builders, Environmentalist, Government Agencies and officials across Africa to share ideas, knowledge and proffer solutions to issues on sanitation, climate change, recycling and waste management, as well as deliberate on environmental issues confronting their countries.”
- To provide a platform for Africans to change the African narrative, and set a roadmap for grassroots and national development.
- To produce developmental change through re-engineering of mindset and setting principles for transformational growth.
- To determine achievements in relations to the environmental and community development, determine lapses, and share insightful information for progress.
- To address present challenges, proffer practical solutions for application in the African countries.
- To provide a platform for local people to take control of their own lives, expressing their own demands and finding their own solutions to their problems.
- To identify for celebration, persons and organisations in Africa whose roles or ideas have promoted environmental sustainability, SDGs and community development
- To promote the African culture and encourage both local and international relations.
- Proffering Solutions to the Challenges of Environmental Sustainable Development (ESD) in Africa
The Conference topics include: Money from Waste: Resource Recovery and Recycling; Engaging the Media in WASH and Environment-related issues; Environmental Planning and Management and the Future of Waste Management in Africa.
Akhigbe emphasised that ACI takes opportunity of the conference to recognise, award, promote and encourage outstanding environmentalist, environmental enthusiasts or innovations in Africa.
The ACI is an environmental non-governmental organisation that is passionate about raising environmentally responsible citizens in Africa with major activities such as environmental sanitation, environmental education and community development.