By: Bamidele Fashube, Abuja
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday announced the sack of the Ministers of Agriculture and Rural Development, Alhaji Sabo Nanono and the Power Minister, Saleh Mamman.
The President also announced the redeployment of two Ministers to take over from them.
The Minister of Environment, Mohammed Mahmoud Abubakar would replace Nanono as the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development while the Minister of State for Works, Abubakar Aliyu, is to take over as the Minister for Power.
Media Aide to the President, Femi Adesina, made the announcement at the Villa in Abuja. He revealed the process of rejigging the cabinet would be continuous.
When AgroNature contacted Theodore Ogaziechi, Director of Information, FMARD, to seek his reaction to the development, he announced to be oblivious of the president’s decision but emphasised that an official statement from the ministry would be released once he gets the nod of the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Ernest Umakhihe.
Below is the full text of the statement:
On Wednesday 21st August, 2019 the current Federal Executive Council was sworn in after a rigorous retreat to bring returning and new members up to speed on the accomplishments, challenges and lessons drawn from my first term in Office and to emphasise the 9 priority areas of government for the second term.
- Two years and some months into the second term, the tradition of subjecting our projects and programs implementation to independent and critical self-review has taken firm roots through sector Reporting during Cabinet meetings and at Retreats.
- These significant review steps have helped to identify and strengthen weak areas, close gaps, build cohesion and synergy in governance, manage the economy and improve the delivery of public good to Nigerians.
- I must commend this cabinet for demonstrating unparalleled resilience that helped the government to navigate the disruption to global systems and governance occasioned by the emergence of COVID-19 shortly after the inauguration. The weekly Federal Executive Council meetings were not spared because the traditional mode was altered.
- As we are all aware, change is the only factor that is constant in every human endeavour and as this administration approaches its critical phase in the second term, I have found it essential to reinvigorate this cabinet in a manner that will deepen its capacity to consolidate legacy achievements.
- Accordingly, a few cabinet changes, marking the beginning of a continuous process, have been approved. They are as follows:
Ministers Leaving the Cabinet:
- Mohammed Sabo Nanono, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, and
- Engr. Sale Mamman, Minister of Power.
- Dr. Mohammad Mahmood Abubakar, Minister of Environment, to assume office as the Minister of Agriculture & Rural Development;
- Engr. Abubakar D. Aliyu, Minister of State, Works & Housing assume office as the Minister of Power.
- In due course, substantive nominations will be made to fill the consequential vacancies in accordance with the requirements of the constitution.
- I have personally met with the departing members to thank them for their contributions to discussions in the cabinet and the invaluable services rendered to the nation. Today effectively marks their last participation in the Federal Executive Council deliberations and I wish them the best in all future endeavours.
- Finally, I wish to reiterate once more, that this process shall be continuous.
- I thank you all and May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.