Presidential Initiative Revives 18 Fertilizer Blending Plants

254 Views

 

From: Bamidele Fashube, Abuja

Not less than 18 Fertilizer blending plants have successfully been restored under the Presidential Fertilizer Initiative (PFI), President of the PFI, Thomas Etuh has said.

He disclosed this during a meeting with the Fertilizer Producers and Suppliers Association of Nigeria (FEPSAN) in Abuja, adding that Nigeria has emerged  net exporter of Urea-based fertilizer.

He said prior to the presidential initiative, only six fertiliser blending plants were functional with large national deficit for local farmers.

His words: “We used to have six fertiliser plants working at 10 percent capacity but with the introduction of PFI, we moved to 11 plants in the first phase and today, 18 out of the 32 plants are engaged in this programme.”

He added that Nigeria would soon be an exporter of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium fertilizer, owing to the huge investment put into the industry in the last three years.

“I know that in the next two to three years, Aliko Dangote’s fertiliser plant will start production and others are also coming up. Currently, Nigeria is a net exporter of Urea-based fertiliser.

“With Dangote plant coming on board and INDORAMA increasing to a second line, we will be producing about seven million tonnes of fertiliser. About 70 per cent of the fertiliser would be for export, while the remaining 30 per cent would be used within the country,’’ he stated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *